Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Numero Uno: Teacups

Today was my first official workday. And it was crazy.

I got to work pretty early, just so that I’d have time to figure out where I needed to go and get myself checked in and whatnot. But I overestimated how well I know my way around Magic Kingdom. I checked in at the Entertainment base and they had a another girl who works in Entertainment walk me upstairs to the Teacups where I was stationed today. Normally, it’s the White Rabbit and Alice, but Alice was playing in the Queen of Hearts’ rose garden today, so Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum made a special appearance. The thing about special appearances is that it makes guests go crazy, because it’s someone they wouldn’t normally be able to see. Which means really long lines, no one listening, and people getting angry when the Tweedles needed to go check in with the Cheshire Cat. Yikes.

At one point, a family came through my line and the little girls had forgotten their autograph books at home, and they were scrambling to find park maps and such. I handed all of them notecards so they could get the White Rabbit’s autograph and they were really grateful. After they were done, the littlest girl came up to me and handed me a Thank You card, which seriously made my day.

How cute is this!?

I also underestimated how hot Florida is in the “winter”. Everyone was saying how it actually gets cold here in the winter, like down in the 30’s and 40’s. I have yet to experience that. All I can say is that if you have a job in the sun all day, get your job’s corresponding hat at costuming. And wear sunglasses and sunscreen. I would have been absolutely fried today if I hadn’t. An interesting little tidbit I read too is that if you eat 5 tablespoons of tomato paste and 2 teaspoons of olive oil per day, it can increase your resistance to sunburn by up to 40%. It’s something about the lycopene in tomatoes and the olive oil aids in absorption. It could very well be completely in my head, but I think it’s helping. Just an FYI :]

I also got my first Make-A-Wish family today, which was pretty heartbreaking. When a Make-A-Wish child comes to Walt Disney World, they get a card that says they can bypass the lines for attractions and also the lines for character meet and greets. When it comes to the meet and greets, attendants ask the person at the front of the line if it would be alright if the Make-A-Wish family goes before them, and most of the time they say yes, which is really nice. It’s just a really eye-opening thing, at least for me.

Yesterday was my first day off since I’ve been here, so I went to Animal Kingdom with a girl from training and her roommates. I got there later in the day (overslept of course) and I had never been before, so we got to do Everest and the Festival of the Lion King, which was absolutely breathtaking. My jaw dropped the entire time, it was so good. We ended the day with Kilimanjaro Safaris at about 4:30, which must be the perfect time to go, because we saw all (and I mean all) of the animals. I took some really great pictures, so I’m including them to end on a happy note :]

I can never like Wildebeest because of The Lion King


Second-favorite animal on the Safari (Giraffes will always be #1)


Flamingos!


Try and tell me that doesn't remind you of Mufasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment